Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Don't Fence Me In



I live in the city. I enjoy being close to theatres, restaurants, parks and gardens so on and so forth. Although the more I live in the city the more I find I don't really need to stray much from it. I admire people who live in the outer suburbs but I've tried it and I can't do it, I'm like a stray dog who just keeps roaming back to the same gate post. Although when you ask most people where they live, they give the suburb name and they always say it's 20 minutes away. What exactly are they measuring? It takes 20 minutes to drive from one end of the city to the other which is about 5 blocks so they must be more than 20 minutes away unless they are counting trips made at 4 in the morning. And there seems to be no end to the new suburb names appearing in land that's been around a long time. Some of the names for the newer suburbs are becoming a little out there. Hidden Valley? How can it be hidden when it's in the Melways? However I do think we should be a bit more honest with our newer suburb names like Not Yet Available of GPS Valley, or Don't Expect Any Public Transport Soon Lakes or perhaps Just 20 Minutes Away by LearJet Gardens. Meanwhile I'll stay in close to the mean streets - at least I know I'm only 20 minutes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment