Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's not the present but the gift box that counts



With only one more day to go I am reminded of my girlfriend who is a single mother of two young children, a boy and a girl describing her typical Christmas morning. At around 7am she would hear the kids thump down the stairs and head for the tree to begin unwrapping presents. The sound of tearing paper, opening of boxes and parcels would waft up the stairs. Then there would be a moment of silence. Then very loudly she would hear "I'm not wearing that. She can't make me wear that!". And that would set the tone for the rest of the day. So for most the day of Christmas is already written. For me this time tomorrow I hope to be well appointed with family and a bottle of very good champagne solving the world's problems and putting the world to right. We usually have a hint of Christmas music in the background no louder than a whimper, any louder and I'll want to stab someone. So to all a very merry Christmas and may the day pass quickly so you can get in a few relaxing television hours of Doris, Bing or Bob.

1 comment:

  1. My parents once gave me an empty box for Christmas and told me it was an Action Man Deserter.

    ReplyDelete