Sunday, September 13, 2009

The big un-freeze



I've been served with a notice to vacate my premises. Well actually they are not mine but let's not quibble over a minor technicality. Packing is loathesome let alone finding somewhere new to live. I spent the weekend looking at shoeboxes with a window and front door cut out of them. These apartments utilise every possible inch of space including one which had a washing machine and dryer in the shower. It was advertised as a new lifestyle opportunity. This might depend on the results of your ECG after the electric shock. Having resolved myself to the move I now need to start emptying out the freezer. This week will be a week of dinners with the word 'surprise' before each meal. The frozen lumps only reveal themselves at the very last minute when you are standing there with the door open saying out loud "chicken, fish?" Or large lump of solid mass that looks like a severed head. Was I really going to cook rolled calves head soup? There would be nothing worse than on a cold winters day you find yourself fresh out of heads. The pizza dough that could serve as a garden paver may not be worth the thaw but the plastic container with the tomato something might be worth the wait or then again might just be something that was meant to go with the concrete paver. So as the freezer winds down to a supply of nothing more than ice cubes the next cave of mystery will be the pantry to re-discover a forgotten trail down the old spice route. I wonder when I ever needed Elderflower water and how many bottles of fish sauce does one person need, not to mention the bucket of honey that is so big I feel compelled to give some back to the bees. No room in the shoe box for this.

6 comments:

  1. Ah yes, we had to eat through our freezer in Dec/Jan this year. 'Surprise' was putting things very, very optistically, especially when it came to some of my earlier attempts at lentil dahl....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toss it. I'm serious. My shopping faux pas isn't fish sauce but Cardini's Caesar Salad Dressing, I seem to have bought in bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you! I've been trying to work through my freezer recently, and each meal fills me with slight excitement that it could be a long-lost favourite combined with a hint of fear that it could turn out to be that Chick Pea Thing From Hell...

    Happy moving, and I hope you find somewhere decent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,I'm River, came here via Blurb from the Burbs. Eat the honey. A teaspoon of honey daily helps the body to retain its calcium. And you might want to invest in some freezer labelling stuff, (labels or whatever), even if only to put a skull and crossbones on your mistakes, you know, the experiments where the ingredients were so expensive you feel guilty throwing them away immediately, so you stash them in the freezer....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the skull and cross bones idea. But then I know one day I will pull this out of the freezer and wonder why I was cooking a meal of skull and cross bones.

    And I know I've got that chickpea thing in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah eviction. It's the new spring cleaning.

    ReplyDelete